Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to sit down with us! We feel quite privileged and want to be sure your time is respected, so we’ve put together this document to help ensure a great experience for everyone! After reading it over, please let us know if you have any questions, or concerns!
WE WOULD BE HONORED IF YOU WOULD JOIN US
When it’s time for the interview, we won’t begin recording right away, but instead we’d like to take a couple of moments and break the ice. We may use this time for such things as verifying how much time the interview will take, adjusting sound levels, and double-checking any other tidbits (important dates, titles, pronunciations, etc.).
LOCK THE DOOR, AND HOPE THEY DON’T HAVE BLASTERS…
The best environment for an interview is a quiet one, free from distractions. We recommend turning your cell to silent, and eliminating as much background noise as possible (i.e. TV, children, Rancors, etc.). We also request you use a microphone and headphones for optimal audio and to eliminate an echo. (A standard set of earbuds with a built-in mic will do the trick).
If you are able to use a desktop or laptop, we prefer to use a tool called Zencastr. In this event, your host will send you a direct link for your interview. Please use only Chrome or Firefox browsers. For a tutorial on using Zencastr, please view this brief video we’ve created.
In the event you’re unable to use a desktop/laptop for the interview, we also have the ability to utilize Skype audio, FaceTime audio, or direct dial a landline/cell.
ANAKIN SKYWALKER, MEET OBI-WAN KENOBI
In some cases, your glowing introduction may be recorded in the studio separate from your interview, so don’t worry! We’ve gotcha covered! The interviewer will let you know when the interview is about to begin, and countdown from three.
DIDN’T WE JUST LEAVE THIS PARTY..?
There may be a handful of times the host tells the listener, “We’ll be back after this break and a word from our sponsor…” When this happens, just sit back and relax for 4-5 seconds – it helps our sound engineers in post-production to see where the breaks are in the sound wave. After the brief break in the action, the host will then welcome back the listeners and continue with the interview.
I’VE GOT A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS…
If something comes out wrong, or you’d like to do another take, just ask! Our goal is to make sure you’re comfortable, and you communicate exactly what you’re hoping to communicate. Any awkward pauses will be shortened, so feel free to take your time and be thoughtful when responding. The beauty of post production edits is we get to make you sound as brilliant and charming as you are in real life! (Though we may saves the bloopers for blackmail purposes down the road…)
YOU BELIEVE IT’S THIS BOY…?
While many questions may naturally arise during our conversation, here’s a list of general Questions for Star Wars On Tap! (If you are conducting an interview unrelated to Star Wars on Tap!, the questions will be more directed at your specific expertise/contribution to the Star Wars galaxy, but may include some of the following).
– What was your first Star Wars experience? Take us to that moment in time!
– What are some of your favorite characters, moments, film, etc.?
– If you could meet any cast member (or other Star Wars related personnel), who would it be and what would you say?
– How expansive is your fandom (i.e. films, comics, novels, video games, collectibles, cosplay, etc.)?
– If you could pick a song from pop culture that would be your favorite character’s theme song, what would it be?
– What’s your best Star Wars impression? (C’mon, we all do it…)
– What are your hopes for the future of the franchise? Future standalones?
– If you could change something within the Star Wars franchise, what would it be?
– What is your most favorite non-Star Wars film? Why?
SORRY ABOUT THE MESS
Toward the end of every interview, there’s a game we like to play called, “Everyday Star Wars.” Here’s how it works: We will provide you with a handful of everyday, real life situations, and you have to respond using only a Star Wars quote. We also know that some questions are best answered if you have time to mull them over before the interview, so we’ve provided a few example scenarios below. Let your host know which 2-3 scenarios you’d like to respond to.
Sample Everyday Scenario: A close friend asks you for relationship advice.
Your Response: “Sorry about the mess…”
Here’s the list of situations (and you’re always welcome to pass):
1. You’re in a public place and your kids begin to meltdown
2. The barista gets your drink order wrong
3. You are forced to attend a function with your spouse’s friends, and you have nothing in common with them
4. You can’t find your keys and you’re late for work
5. You get a last-minute notification from your boss about a mandatory meeting
6. Your lottery scratcher was a winner…but you only won $2
7. You’re waiting for an important call and your phone’s battery is about to run out
8. Someone eats the lunch in the break room refrigerator with your name on it
9. Some jackass cuts you off in traffic
10. You get food poisoning from your favorite restaurant
A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW
The interview will conclude with these final two questions:
– “If Disney decided to produce a Star Wars standalone film based on your life, what would the title be? “Star Wars:____________””
– “If the Force were real, who would you most want to appear to you as a Force ghost, and why?”
STAY ON TARGET
Following the conclusion of the interview, we may ask you to record a “bump” for us – something we can use to help promote the show. For example, when we interview Mark Hamill, we may ask him to say: “Hi! This is Mark Hamill and you’re listening to Unmistakably Star Wars!” Your USW rep will likely e-mail you any such bump ahead of time, so you can read it while on the air.
THE DARK SIDE CLOUDS EVERYTHING – IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE THE FUTURE IS
We’ll do our best to give you a heads-up a few days before your interview airs, and promote it on Twitter and Facebook prior to its release. Please feel free to spread the word and let your friends, family and social media followers know! In the event something comes up in “real life,” and we’re not able to post the episode on the intended date, we’ll do our best to let you know beforehand.
DON’T EVERYBODY THANK ME AT ONCE
We’re stoked you’re part of the USW extended family, and we hope our mutual affinity for Star Wars leads us to connecting in-person someday! If you feel so inclined, we always appreciate new followers on social media or even a kind review on iTunes. Please help spread the word!
REMEMBER, THE FORCE WILL BE WITH YOU. ALWAYS.
We again thank you for your valuable time! If there’s something you still have a question about, please let us know!
TECHNICAL READOUTS OF THE BATTLESTATION
Typical Interview Experience Outline
- Introduction (pre-recorded)
- Sound check, check-in, etc.
- Your Star Wars Story & fandom
- Everyday Star Wars
- A Certain Point of View
- Host wraps up the interview
- Guest stays on the line!